Measures reflectance, transmittance and haze
Wavelength range 360 nm – 780 nm
10 nm optical resolution and reporting interval
Two reflectance measurement areas
Exceptional inter-instrument agreement
Automated UV calibration and control
Large transmission compartment open on three sides
Includes EasyMatch QC software
Adjustable Reflectance Preform Holder
Measures preforms with shaft diameter from 15 mm to 40 mm. The length of the straight shaft above the preform threads should be at least 50mm in order to completely cover the port.
Adjustable Transmission Preform Holder
Measures preforms with shaft diameter from 10mm to 40mm. The length of the straight shaft above the preform threads should be at least 50mm in order to completely cover the port.
Used for compressing fibers into a compact mass to permit repeatable color analysis. Available and sold separately are:
- D02-1012-386 Port Plate Sample Cup Holder
- A02-1011-124 Port Plate with Glass
- 04-7209-00 Glass Sample Cup
Reflectance Sample Shelf with Light Cover
For the reflectance measurement of powders, granules and semi-solids held in a rectangular cell (below). Cells purchased separately.
Optically clear glass cell with depth of 10mm, 20mm or 50mm; 55mm width x 57mm height. (Listed on front page)
Semi-Micro Powder Holder
Permits the reflected color measurement of as little as 0.4cc of packed powder. Powder is placed in the powder holder and is backed with the white plunger.
Flow Through Cell & Holder
A 51 mm (2 inch) diameter optically clear flow through glass cell with a path length of 10 mm, 20 mm or 50 mm.
Cell holder that is mounted in the transmission compartment for supporting a flow cell. Cell purchased separately.
Transmission Cell (Rectangular)
13-8573-40 (10 MM)
04-4592-00 (20 MM)
13-8573-20 (50 MM)
Provides consistent placement of 10 mm, 20 mm, 33 mm or 50 mm path length transmission cells – purchased separately.
Transmission Spill Tray & Cell Holder
Permits transmittance measurement of liquids using rectangular transmission cell (below). Cells purchased separately.
Cell Holder Base Assembly
This Cell Holder Base Assembly with one or more clip-on holders (ordered separately) centers macro, semi-micro and ultra-micro, as well as other precision analytical cell holders in the transmission compartment of HunterLab sphere instruments. This assembly ensures repeatable transmission color measurements of very small volumes of clear liquids. Select one or more of the available precision cell holders by matching cell holder specifications with the desired glass or plastic analytical cells. Analytical cells are purchased separately by the customer.
Holds transparent film, glass or plastic in position for total or regular transmission measurement.
Excellent precision on opaque, transparent, translucent, and even dark and highly saturated samples.
The UltraScan VIS easily measures both reflected and transmitted color as well as transmission haze and meets CIE, ASTM and USP guidelines for accurate color measurement. UltraScan VIS uses diffuse/8° geometry with automated specular component inclusion/exclusion. For transmission measurement, the use of a robust CIE-conforming sphere instrument (TTRAN Total Transmission mode) effectively negates the effects of minor scattering typically found in transparent samples.
Because of its exceptional inter-instrument agreement and long-term stability, you can be confident that differences between measurements are due to product color changes, not instrument variability. Materials on the borderline of accepted tolerances will not be unnecessarily rejected.
Explore all the additional features and benefits below.
Measurement Principle: Dual-beam spectrophotometer
Geometry: Diffuse d/8° reflectance, d/8° total transmission, d/0° regular transmission
Spectrophotometer: Two 256 element diode arrays with a high resolution, concave holographic grating
Sphere Diameter: 152 mm (6 in.)
Sphere Coating: Spectraflect™ for sphere, Duraflect™ for port plate and specular exclusion door
Port Size/Measured Area:
- Port Diameter/View Diameter in RSIN/RSEX reflectance modes
- Large Area View (LAV): 25 mm (1 in) illuminated/19 mm (0.75 in) measured
- Small Area View (SAV): 9.5 mm (0.375 in) illuminated/6 mm (0.25 in) measured
- Port Diameter/View Diameter in TTRAN transmittance modes
- Large Area View (LAV): 25 mm (1 in) illuminated/17.4 mm (0.69 in) measured
- Small Area View (SAV): 25 mm (1 in) illuminated/10 mm (0.40 in) measured
- Port Diameter/View Diameter in RTRAN transmittance mode where lens is field stop for all areas of view
- Large Area View (LAV): 17 mm (0.67 in) illuminated/17 mm (0.67 in) measured
- Small Area View (SAV): 17 mm (0.67 in) illuminated/17 mm (0.67 in) measured
Lens Switching for LAV/SAV: Automatic
Specular Component: Automated Included (RSIN) or Excluded (RSEX) in reflectance
Spectral Range: 360 nm – 780 nm full CIE visible range
Wavelength Resolution: < 2 nm
Effective Bandwidth: 10 nm equivalent triangular
Reporting Interval: 10 nm
Photometric Range: 0 to 150 %
Photometric Resolution: 0.003 % (0.01 % reported)
Light Source: Pulsed Xenon lamp, filtered to approximate D65 daylight
Automatic UV Control:
- 400 nm cutoff filter for UV control and UV exclusion
- Optional 420 nm cutoff filter for UV exclusion
Flashes per Measurement: 1 in LAV mode (4 in. SAV mode)
Measurement Time: < 5 seconds
Transmission Modes: Total (TTRAN) and Regular (RTRAN)
Transmission Compartment: Large and open on 3 sides, 10.2 cm D X 35.6 cm W x 16.5 cm H (4 in. D x 14 in. W x 6.5 in. H)
- Reflectance: CIE 15:2004, ISO 7724/1, ASTM E1164, DIN 5033, Teil 7 and JIS Z 8722 Condition C
- Transmittance: CIE 15:2004, ASTM E1164, DIN 5033 Teil 7 and JIS Z 8722 Condition E, G Haze conformance per ASTM D1003 Section 8. Procedure B Spectrophotometer
Standards Traceability: Instrument standard assignment in accordance with National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) following practices described in CIE Publication 44 and ASTM E259
Colorimetric Repeatability (20 readings range):
- < 0.03 ∆E* CIE L*a*b* on white tile in LAV and SAV modes
- < 0.05 ∆E* CIE L*a*b* on blue denim tile in LAV and SAV modes
Spectral Repeatability: Max 0.20 peak-to-peak between 435 nm and 695 nm
Inter-instrument Agreement: ∆E*
- < 0.15 CIE L*a*b* (Avg) on BCRA II Tile Set ∆E*
- < 0.25 CIE L*a*b* (Max) on BCRA II Tile Set
- Height: 27.9 cm (11 in.)
- Width: 42.0 cm (16.5 in.)
- Depth: 49.8 cm (19.6 in.)
- Weight: 20.4 kg (45 lbs)
- 100 to 240 VAC, 47 to 63 Hz
- 60 watts passive, 120 watts maximum
Interface: RS-232C serial, 19,200 baud, DB9 (female) terminal
Operating Environment: 10° to 40°C (50° to 104° F), 10 % to 90 % RH, noncondensing
Storage Environment: -21° to 66°C (-5° to 150° F), 10 % to 90 % RH, noncondensing
- Calibrated instrument white tile
- Certificate of traceability
- Black calibration light trap
- Transmittance zero calibration plate
- Green diagnostic tile
- Wavelength diagnostic filter
- Reflectance sample clamp
- LAV and SAV apertures
- RS-232C cable
- USB-to-Serial adapter
- Power cord
- EasyMatch QC Software
- EasyMatch QC Basic manual